Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] winbindd crashing -- how to auto-heal?

El 3/9/18 a les 16:35, Jamie Jackson via samba ha escrit:

I didn't set this up, but I assume the sysadmins didn't run it because
they, like Luca, probably assumed that smbd was for server functionality

I didn't assume, it's the documentation that says so.
In fact, the winbindd man page says that the winbind daemon provides services to smbd and ntlm_auth, not the reverse:

"Even if winbind is not used for nsswitch, it still provides a service to smbd, ntlm_auth and the pam_winbind.so PAM module"

So, according to the documentation, you can run winbindd alone but you cannot run smbd/ntlm_auth without winbindd.

Bye
--
Luca Olivetti
Tel. +34 93 5883004 (Ext.3010)  Fax +34 93 5883007