Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Renaming a folder while other smbd-users have files opened

On Tue, 28 Aug 2018 18:41:18 +0200
"Stefan G. Weichinger via samba" <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Am 28.08.18 um 18:16 schrieb Ralph Böhme:
> > On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 04:37:51PM +0200, Stefan G. Weichinger via
> > samba wrote:
> >> why does that work? why isn't that blocked/forbidden/not allowed?
> >
> > because you didn't know of the "strict rename" parameter which
> > defaults to false for reasons explained in the manpage. :)
>
> thanks for the pointer, read the section right now and it sounds
> valid ... although I still wonder if I can avoid having users do that
> by setting ACLs?
>
> Is it possible to allow them read/write "Daten/client[abc]" but not
> rename "Daten", for example?
>
> It happened for the first time since over 16 yrs or so, to be fair ;-)

I have never tried it, but you could probably do it, if you use Windows
ACL's, where there is 'delete subfolders & files' and you can deny this.
You would probably have to ignore the Unix attrs with 'acl_xattr:ignore
system acls = yes'