Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] multiple passdb backends for standalone fileserver?

Am 2018-08-20 um 17:15 schrieb Rowland Penny via samba:
On Mon, 20 Aug 2018 16:43:24 +0200
Matthias Leopold via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

i (naively) would like to have local AND ldap users (and groups...)
on my standalone fileserver (security = user). "passdb backend =
ldapsam" already works OK and i found some old posts on the internet
about "chaining" passdb backends. so i tried "chaining" ldapsam and
tdbsam, but although testparm doesn't complain and i can add local
users with "pdbedit -b tdbsam" this setup doesn't actually work (ldap
users are found, local are not)

is this supposed to work? are there other ways to achieve this?

samba version: 4.7.1 (on CentOS)

thx
matthias

By its very definition, a standalone server is just that, so ALL its
users are LOCAL. You need users in Samba to match the local Unix users,
whether you use tdbsam or ldapsam is up to you, but you cannot use
both.

Why do you want to do what you are trying to do ?
What do you want to achieve ?

Rowland

thanks for your explanation, you're right of course and i already suspected there wouldn't be a way, because it actually doesn't make much sense. in my case it was only a question of convenience, because the ldap server used isn't designed for a samba backend and servers mainly other purposes (although ldapsam does work). it's rather costly to get users in there, but i'll go this way

thx
matthias