Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Dual headed DC

That's a problem to start with, you really are better off with multiple
DC's. I personally would use at least three in your case, one main DC
and another DC in each site. This would ensure that you would have
some fall back if a DC died.

Let's for a moment assume:
_ this is a test setup;
_ my network is very small (read 5-10 clients);
_ I cannot afford 3 DCs;
_ I really want to use internal DNS (unless a showstopper comes up);
_ I know I'm going with a subobtimal setup;
_ I won't come and whine here if the overall thing is slow and/or not so resilient.

In any case, do you have a pointer to some documentation I can use
(especially WRT to DNS)?

Yes, it is called the Samba wiki :-)

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Main_Page

Thanks.
I think I've read almost it all several times in the past.
However, as I said, checking it once again, I was not able to find the information I'm looking for. Could you please point me to the pages I should be looking into in order to configure an AD DC DNS for use on two subnets?

If I added a second interface to the DC right now, I guess it would answer equally on both interfaces.

However, I suppose possibly:
_ client 192.168.0.x should be told dc.mydom.it=192.168.0.z, while
_ client 192.168.1.y should be told dc.mydom.it=192.168.1.z.

If this assumption is right, I don't have an idea on how to achieve this with internal DNS.

Perhaps this assumption is wrong, and the distinction should be made earlier when the SRV records are queried?
Again, how?

I read in MS documentation about "IP Addresses mapping to Site Names", but again, you said sites are not strictly required, so I'm trying to figure out how this would work without them.

 bye & Thanks
	av.