Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Samba 4.3.11

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 15:57:20 -0400
rac8006@xxxxxxx wrote:

>  The template is in the program smbcmd.  If you do a strings on smbcmd
> you get the full smb.conf file minus the shares which is kept in
> another hidden file.  The only way to make changes would be to add
> them in the hidden file.  Not sure if you add statements to the
> hidden file.

If 'smbcmd' is a compiled (which it sounds like) program, the you
cannot alter it, it also sounds like a stupid thing to do.

>That they
>
> will get written to the new smb.conf file.  What would samba do if it
> saw two loglevel entries?

Last one wins.

> The source that WD releases as part of the GPL implies that it is
> 4.3.11.

Then ALL your support comes from WD, 4.3.x is EOL as far as Samba is
concerned.

> I've rebuilt that version.  Just having problems getting it
> to run.  Seems that WD releases the GPL source code.  But the source
> code does not match the
>
> code released in the firmware.

Can you prove this ?
If you can, I 'think' WD can be forced to release the correct source
code.

>  Using the smbd -b shows different

Different in what way ?
'smbd' just shows how Samba was built.

> I was trying to get the symbols so I could use gdb to see what is
> causing the problem.

I think you will find it is that WD has messed with the Samba code and
this is outside the help you will find here.