Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Samba 4.3.11

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 13:48:45 -0400
rac8006@xxxxxxx wrote:

  I do not have any apple devices on my network.  I would like to
change the smb.conf defaults.  But WD in there infinite wisdom
modified the way samba is started up on reboot.  They don't use the
rc scripts.  They wrote there own utilities to start samba.  They use
programs called smbcom smbcmd smbcv etc.  They provide on
documentation on these programs.  After some testing I found that
smbcmd starts smbd processes.  But it also overwrites the smb.conf
file  with what is displayed below.  Even trying to set the loglevel

is difficult.

Thanks for you help.

Sorry, but this is what you get when you purchase something with a
proprietary OS.
 From a quick internet search it appears you may be able to replace the
entire OS. This would allow you to do whatever you like, it would
also ensure that there are no backdoors in the OS, it seems this may
be very possible with the installed OS.

If it is overwriting the smb.conf, then it is very probably using a
template somewhere, if you can find this, you may be able to alter
this instead.

It would nice to know which version of Samba it is using, if it is
version 3 or later, then they should be supplying the source code (I
couldn't find it, but didn't search hard), if it is an earlier version,
then it really shouldn't be connected to the internet.

I didn't follow the thread but you should consider:

https://community.wd.com/t/clean-os-debian-openmediavault-and-other-firmwares/93714

It's almost not possible to use WD stuff outside of the GUI.
If your device is supported spend your time using an alternative OS or live with the GUI! :)

--
John Doe