Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Active directory sites & subnets

On 6/28/2018 9:20 AM, Elias Pereira wrote:
Thanks for the answer ligpanda101!!

    For DC's that are not present on a subnet, assign the subnet to
    the closet site to a DC

Visibly via RSAT, how would that look?

On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 1:06 PM lingpanda101 <lingpanda101@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:lingpanda101@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    On 6/27/2018 11:44 AM, Elias Pereira via samba wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Reading about, specifically in the wiki
    > <https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Active_Directory_Sites> link,
    says the
    > following about subnets.
    >
    > "Create a subnet entry for all subnets in your network and
    assign them to a
    > site:"
    >
    > The subnet on which our DCs are configured is a public IP block,
    but the
    > client machines are in a subnet with a private address block.
    >
    > Do I need to configure all the subnets that we have in our
    network or only
    > to which the DCs are configured?

    You should add all your subnets in your network. If you have
    hundreds of
    subnets, just use a CIDR notation such as ie., 10.0.0.0/8
    <http://10.0.0.0/8> if needed, so
    as to not type them all out. For DC's that are not present on a

--
    -JAMES

--
Elias Pereira

Elias,

    Below is taken from a quick google search from a Microsoft DOC. It does a good job explaining the steps to create sites and subnets. Additionally when you go to create the subnet, the GUI will provide examples on how to enter for IPv4 and IPv6 subnets. I hope this helps.

     To configure additional Active Directory sites

1.

   On the primary domain controller, click *Start*, and then click
   *Active Directory Sites and Services*.

2.

   In the Active Directory Sites and Services console, in the console
   tree, right-click *Sites*, and then click *New Site*.

3.

   On the *New Object - Site* dialog box, in the *Name* box, enter a
   name for the new site.

4.

   In *Link Name*, click a site link object, and then click *OK* twice.

5.

   In the console tree, expand *Sites*, right-click *Subnets*, and then
   click *New Subnet*.

6.

   On the *New Object - Subnet* dialog box, under *Prefix*, type the
   IPv4 or IPv6 subnet prefix, in the *Select a site object for this
   prefix* list, click the site to associate with this subnet, and then
   click *OK*.

7.

   Repeat steps 5 and 6 until you have created all the subnets required
   in your deployment.

8.

   Close Active Directory Sites and Services.

-James