Web lists-archives.com

[Samba] 2 WINS Servers and WINS FORWARDING

Hello List,

I have a special L2 VPN connected samba deployment setup and I want to make sure the name resolution arrangement is the best for the network.

Setup : network 1 + Samba1<<SAME IP range>> <L2 VPN> network2 <<SAME IP range>> + Samba2

I have noticed that the wins server and wins support options are non-inclusive.

Samba2:
        name resolve order = hosts wins lmhosts bcast
        max wins ttl = 518400
        min wins ttl = 21600
        wins proxy = No
        wins server = 1.2.3.4
        wins support = No
        wins hook =

A samba server can be either a wins client or a wins server. In client mode it still respond to:

nmblookup -R -U $SERVER <NETBIOS NAME>

but only if it's asked it's own name, not others on the network.

Here is what I would like to accomplish:

  option netbios-name-servers 1.2.3.4;
  option netbios-node-type 2;

On network 1 the dhcp points all the clients to use Samba 1 as WINS and on network 2 Samba2 as WINS but I also would like to use Samba2 as a wins slave to get its data from Samba 1 if the connection is OK but if the VPN breaks up then it should build up it's own list on the remaining segment and take care of the role until it reestablishes again.