Web lists-archives.com

[Samba] samba problem with version upgrade - restated

I am consolidating and restating this problem as thus far I have received no answer from the group as to how to correct this problem.

I have two linux mint systems on my network and use samba to share data between them.  I am in the process of upgrading one of them from linux mint maya to linux mint sylvia, which also upgrades smbd from 3.6.25 to 4.3.11-Ubuntu and encountering behavior differences. I suspect I need to tweak my newer smb.conf file to correct this problem.

The system I am in process of upgrading offers a single share of a directory, which the other system accesses via a gvfs-mount configured by gigolo.  I use this directory in both directions for file transfer with no issues when the system is running maya.  Once I boot sylvia I have problems.

A summary of the situation:

1) maya booted (smbd 3.6.25)

A file added to the share from the other system appears in the shared directory with ownership as "dhdurgee/dhdurgee" and can be moved out of the shared directory elsewhere.

A file added to the shared directory can be accessed via the share from the other system also appears with ownership as "dhdurgee/dhdurgee" and can be moved elsewhere out of the share.

2) sylvia booted (smbd 4.3.11-Ubuntu)

A file added to the share from the other system appears in the shared directory with ownership as "nobody/nogroup" and cannot be moved out of the shared directory elsewhere.  Errors are "file is read only, delete anyway?" "operation not permitted"

A file added to the shared directory can be accessed via the share from the other system with ownership as "dhdurgee/dhdurgee" but cannot be moved out of the shared directory elsewhere.  Error is "Access Denied"

Extracting non-default, non-comments from the two smb.conf files:

MAYA:

[global]
   workgroup = AGI-NET
   server string = %h server (Samba, LinuxMint)
   dns proxy = no
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   max log size = 2048
   log level = 0
   syslog = 0
   obey pam restrictions = yes
   unix password sync = yes
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
   pam password change = yes
   map to guest = bad user
   usershare allow guests = yes

[testing]
	comment = Samba test shared directory
	read only = no
	locking = no
	path = /var/tmp
    guest ok = yes

SYLVIA:

[global]
   workgroup = AGI-NET
	server string = %h server (Samba, LinuxMint)
   dns proxy = no
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   max log size = 2048
  log level = 0