Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] samba behavior change with version upgrade

Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
On Thu, 7 Jun 2018 14:57:34 +0100
Rowland Penny via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, 7 Jun 2018 14:51:11 +0100
Rowland Penny via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, 7 Jun 2018 15:43:07 +0200
"L.P.H. van Belle via samba" <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

David,

So only Rowland is allowed to help?? If everybody does that them
in feeling really sorry for him. There are lots of people here
with very good knowledge. Even if its a long post, everything
might be relevant, i suggest, you try it.. It does not hurt.
Anonimize the config if needed.

I am trying to do two things at once, re-writing the time server
wikipage and reading (and shortening) the smb.conf files I was sent,
give me a few minutes and I will post them with a comment.

Rowland

OK, here are thr two smb.conf files without commented lines and
obvious default lines.

This is what the OP should have posted:

MAYA:

[global]
    workgroup = AGI-NET
    server string = %h server (Samba, LinuxMint)
    dns proxy = no
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    max log size = 2048
    log level = 0
    syslog = 0
    obey pam restrictions = yes
    unix password sync = yes
    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
pam password change = yes map to guest = bad user
    client lanman auth = yes
    client ntlmv2 auth = no
    lanman auth = yes
    usershare allow guests = yes

[printers]
    comment = All Printers
    browseable = no
    path = /var/spool/samba
    printable = yes
    guest ok = no
    read only = yes
    create mask = 0700

[print$]
    comment = Printer Drivers
    path = /var/lib/samba/printers
    browseable = yes
    read only = yes
    guest ok = no

[testing]
	comment = Samba test shared directory
	read only = no
	locking = no
	path = /var/tmp
     guest ok = yes

SYLVIA:

[global]
    workgroup = AGI-NET
	server string = %h server (Samba, LinuxMint)
    dns proxy = no
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    max log size = 2048
   log level = 0
    syslog = 0
    server role = standalone server
[...]

OK, remove these lines:

    client lanman auth = yes
    client ntlmv2 auth = no
    lanman auth = yes

They are the exact opposites to what you need.

Rowland

I'm not sure of that.  My LAN has two OS/2 systems on it and I mount network shares from them.  Neither of them use network shared resources from my linux system, but my linux system must be able to mount those network shares.  To the best of my knowledge lanman auth is a requirement for accessing OS/2 shares.  Perhaps given that the sharing is all from linux to OS/2 one of those can be changed.

Are these entries of any consequence for another linux mint sylvia system performing gvfs-mount via gigolo of the testing share? Likewise they are in both smb.conf files, so why would 4.3.11-Ubuntu have problems with them that 3.6.25 doesn't?

Dave