Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] samba behavior change with version upgrade

Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
On Wed, 6 Jun 2018 13:26:29 -0400
"David H. Durgee via samba" <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have two linux mint systems on my network and use samba to share
data between them.  I am in the process of upgrading one of them from
linux mint maya to linux mint sylvia, which also upgrades smbd from
3.6.25 to 4.3.11-Ubuntu and encountering behavior differences. I
suspect I need to tweak my newer smb.conf file to correct this
problem.

The system I am in process of upgrading offers a single share of a
directory, which the other system accesses via a gvfs-mount
configured by gigolo.  I use this directory in both directions for
file transfer with no issues when the system is running maya.  Once I
boot sylvia I have problems.

A summary of the situation:

1) maya booted (smbd 3.6.25)

A file added to the share from the other system appears in the shared
directory with ownership as "dhdurgee/dhdurgee" and can be moved out
of the shared directory elsewhere.

A file added to the shared directory can be accessed via the share
from the other system also appears with ownership as
"dhdurgee/dhdurgee" and can be moved elsewhere out of the share.

2) sylvia booted (smbd 4.3.11-Ubuntu)

A file added to the share from the other system appears in the shared
directory with ownership as "nobody/nogroup" and cannot be moved out
of the shared directory elsewhere.  Errors are "file is read only,
delete anyway?" "operation not permitted"

A file added to the shared directory can be accessed via the share
from the other system with ownership as "dhdurgee/dhdurgee" but
cannot be moved out of the shared directory elsewhere.  Error is
"Access Denied"

Has anyone seen this behavior before?  Can anyone suggest what needs
to be changed or added to the 4.3.11 smb.conf to correct the problem?

Dave

It sounds like you are running a standalone server, but I cannot be
positive until you post your smb.conf files. I also cannot even try to
offer advice until I know what was in your original smb.conf and how
you have set up your new smb.conf.

Rowland

Attached please find a zip containing the two smb.conf files with a suffix identifying their origin.  If you need any additional information please let me know.

Dave