Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Why am I getting login failures for domain members?

On 6/6/2018 1:48 PM, Mark Foley via samba wrote:
No ideas on this? Anybody?

--Mark

-----Original Message-----
Date: Tue, 29 May 2018 09:27:36 -0400
To: samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Samba] Why am I getting login failures for domain members?

Every so often I get a message in /var/log/samba/log.samba as follows:

2018/05/26 13:44:25.172415, 2] authentication for user [HPRS/LABRAT$] FAILED with error NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD

Normally, I get this when a user types in the wrong password.  However, in this case LABRAT$ is
not a user but rather a Linux domain member computer.  This happens periodically on every Linux
domain member on the domain.

Why? Is it a problem? Is there something I can do to fix this?

--Mark

Mark,

    I  don't have any Linux members but it isn't uncommon to see this log for windows devices. A case where I would expect to see this if the machine was off for 30+ days and then turned on. If memory serves me this is negotiated every 30 days via the default domain policy.

Anything in the syslog files of your member computers? I would look around the time stamp of the authentication request. Is it when it's powered on?

-James