Web lists-archives.com

[Samba] future of non-AD samba?

Hi,

We plan to upgrade servers, and wonder which configuration is future-proof. Must we switch to AD, or will a new Standalone Server also continue to serve Windows 10 clients?

Several messages suggest that new Windows sometimes cannot access old Samba.

What exactly is the cause? Is it Standalone Server versus Domain, is it old-style PDC versus AD, or is it SMB protocol version 1 versus 2 or 3?

Btw. I'm currently running Samba 4 as PDC and Samba 3.6 as standalone server, both are accessed from Linux, Win7, and Win-1709 (upgraded from older versions). The only problem so far has been that new Ubuntu defaults to disabled SMB1.

thanks,
Klaus