Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Q: Samba4 AD DC & small office file sharing

Hi Marco,

For my current small office configuration, the machine serving
as a NT4 Style PDC is also the main file server.  Works fine.

In reading up on creating an updated configuration, I see The Samba
Wiki states the following:

"The Samba AD DC is able to provide file shares, just like all other
installation modes. However, the Samba team does not recommend using a
DC as a file server"

Does this mean that another machine should be added to serve solely
as the DC or am I misreading it.  If it's yet another machine, is
this truly required for a small setup?

the problem is not a performance issue, it is due to different Winbind UID/SID mapping mechanism (due to some specificities of SYSVOL share). You could have everything on the same machine, but you'll have trouble if you need to manage ACLs except for the simplest situation.

Here we always put two different virtual machines for AD and fileserver, even for small setup. Virtualisation is cheap, it would be a pity not to use it.

Cheers,

Denis

---
https://www.avg.com