Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Samba 4.8.2

On Mon, 21 May 2018 09:21:42 +1200
Andrew Bartlett via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, 2018-05-18 at 14:44 +0200, Micha Ballmann via samba wrote:
Is it possible to Mix Samba 4.8.2 with Samba 4.7.7?

I have three domain controller (up to 10000 users) running on Samba
4.7.7.

I want to kill all samba processes of Dc1 and do all necessary
steps for an upgrade to version 4.8.2. Dc2 and Dc2 still running
and providing.

After a reboot of the upgraded server, (Dc1) is the replication
still working? Gpos are working?

I cant shutdown all domain controller for the same time, and
upgrade them "offline" step by step!
If possible, do the upgrade by joining each DC to the domain, rather
than upgrading them offline.  If you keep upgrading in-place you miss
out on some features we only enable on fresh databases, like encrypted
secrets (4.8) and sorted links (4.7).
Well you learn something new everyday ;-)
Is this documented anywhere ?
I also think this is a bad idea, anything new should just work without
having to go through the 'demote' and 'join' loop, as this appears to
have its own problems.

As has become amply clear of late, in-place upgrades, while tested as
part of our 'make test' are clearly are not as tested as they should
be.
That could be an understatement ;-)
In any case, replication between 4.7 and 4.8 shouldn't be a problem.
Unfortunately it seems it is.

Rowland
Wouldn't a demote and join also unnecessarily deplete the RID pool faster?

-James