Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Change of behavior samba 3.6 and 4.5

On Sun, 6 May 2018 19:40:01 +0200
john doe via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Sun, 6 May 2018 12:51:33 +0200
john doe via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

I'm in the process of replacing my samba server 3.6.x (Debian
wheezy, stable) to samba 4.5.x (Debian stretch, stable).

I'm facing one mageor opstacle:

When I do "net view \\<SAMBA-3-SERVER>" a list of the available
shares is displayed.
But if I do the same command "net view <\\SAMBA-4-SERVER>" I get
the following error:

"System error 5 has occurred.

Access is denied."

If I enter the username/password when prompted everything is
working as expected.

Obviously, there has been some mageor changes between samba 3.x and
samba 4.x but I can't seam to find an explanation for this
behavior.

Is there a way to get the samba 3.x behavior on samba 4.x?

In other words: why do I need to enter credentials prior  to be
able to "net view" the available shares.

You don't, or at least, it works for me.

Thanks Rowland, for confirming that for you 'net view
\\<SAMBA-4-SERVER>' works without having to first enter credentials.

Might help if you posted the smb.conf from 'SAMBA-4-SERVER' (and
'SAMBA-3-SERVER, if it is different)

For testing purposes I used the smb.conf from the working samba 3.X
server and still getting the same error.
Any other ideas?

Yes, post the smb.conf, I (and anybody else) will not have a clue how
you are running Samba unless you do. Just because it worked with 3.6.x
doesn't mean it will work with 4.5.x

Here's my smb.conf (lines starting with '#',';', and blank lines are removed):

With the exception of the 'log file' option it's the smb.conf find in /usr/share/doc/samba-common/examples/smb.conf.default.gz on Debian 9.

[global]
   workgroup = MYGROUP
   server string = Samba Server
   server role = standalone server
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.m
   max log size = 50
   dns proxy = no
[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writable = yes
[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /usr/spool/samba
   browseable = no
   guest ok = no
   writable = no
   printable = yes

Prior to enter credentials if I do 'net use ...' I get the following:

PS> net use \\<SAMBA-SERVER>
The password or user name is invalid for \\<SAMBA-SERVER>.

Enter the user name for '<SAMBA-SERVER>': john
Enter the password for <SAMBA-SERVER>:
The command completed successfully.

Thanks Rowland or to anyone else that is able to help me.

Any help is much appriciated! :)

--
John Doe