Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Change of behavior samba 3.6 and 4.5

On Sun, 6 May 2018 12:51:33 +0200
john doe via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

I'm in the process of replacing my samba server 3.6.x (Debian wheezy,
stable) to samba 4.5.x (Debian stretch, stable).

I'm facing one mageor opstacle:

When I do "net view \\<SAMBA-3-SERVER>" a list of the available
shares is displayed.
But if I do the same command "net view <\\SAMBA-4-SERVER>" I get the
following error:

"System error 5 has occurred.

Access is denied."

If I enter the username/password when prompted everything is working
as expected.

Obviously, there has been some mageor changes between samba 3.x and
samba 4.x but I can't seam to find an explanation for this behavior.

Is there a way to get the samba 3.x behavior on samba 4.x?

In other words: why do I need to enter credentials prior  to be able
to "net view" the available shares.

You don't, or at least, it works for me.

Thanks Rowland, for confirming that for you 'net view \\<SAMBA-4-SERVER>' works without having to first enter credentials.

Might help if you posted the smb.conf from 'SAMBA-4-SERVER' (and
'SAMBA-3-SERVER, if it is different)

For testing purposes I used the smb.conf from the working samba 3.X server and still getting the same error.
Any other ideas?

--
John Doe