Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Is a password required for the Linux account?

On 04/05/2018 16:47, Chris Weiss wrote:
On Fri, May 4, 2018 at 9:07 AM Gilles via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    On 04/05/2018 15:46, Chris Weiss wrote:
    > technically it does not need a passwd, and you don't need to do
    > password sync.  i should work just fine.
    Thanks.

    If the matching Unix account has no password, how come it doesn't
    trigger an error when Samba accesses the underlying Unix filesystem?
    Doesn't Linux prompt Samba for a uid + password?

no, samba runs as root, root can do whatever it needs. this is also why you shouldn't have samba on a web server.
That figures.

Although I obviously have a NAT firewall to restrict incoming access to TCP80, since Nginx is indeed Internet-accessible, I'll investigate using ssh/sftp as an alternative to Samba.

Thanks much.