Re: [Samba] Is a password required for the Linux account?
- Date: Fri, 4 May 2018 15:51:51 +0200
- From: Gilles via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [Samba] Is a password required for the Linux account?
Rowland Penny > Wouldn't you be better off using a SSH login ? What you are proposing doesn't sound very secure to me.
Sorry, I haven't made myself understood.I simply want to use Samba in the standard way, through the "valid users" option, which requires creating a Unix account, a Samba account, and password for both, ideally in sync.
This is partially explained on the wiki, although it missed the most important "valid users" option:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_a_Standalone_Server I was just wondering if a Unix password is actually required.I assume the answer is yes, or I guess Samba will get an error when trying to access the underlying filesystem if the matching Unix account has no password.
Thank you.PS: Sorry for the break in the thread: I only realized after posting that the archives at Nabble are inactive http://samba.2283325.n4.nabble.com/Samba-General-f2403709.html . Is there no web-based alternative to the Samba General mailing list?
-- To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the instructions: https://lists.samba.org/mailman/options/samba
- Prev by Date: [Samba] undefined symbol: find_domain_from_name
- Next by Date: Re: [Samba] undefined symbol: find_domain_from_name
- Previous by thread: [Samba] undefined symbol: find_domain_from_name
- Next by thread: [Samba] Most authoritative and up-to-date source of info for Samba 4?