Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Is a password required for the Linux account?

Rowland Penny > Wouldn't you be better off using a SSH login ? What you are proposing doesn't sound very secure to me.

Sorry, I haven't made myself understood.

I simply want to use Samba in the standard way, through the "valid users" option, which requires creating a Unix account, a Samba account, and password for both, ideally in sync.

This is partially explained on the wiki, although it missed the most important "valid users" option:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_a_Standalone_Server

I was just wondering if a Unix password is actually required.

I assume the answer is yes, or I guess Samba will get an error when trying to access the underlying filesystem if the matching Unix account has no password.

Thank you.