Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Using samba AD in mixed OS environment

Hi Zdravko,

I've got working samba AD server. It is playing nicely with Windows 10 and
also successfully authenticating Linux machines with SSSD.
On the Windows machines I have our EMC storage smb mounted via group
policy. Managing permissions for users and groups there, as you know,
happens with right click, security etc..
As you may have already guessed the troubles come when my Linux machines,
that access the storage via nfs mount, need to work with folders and files
created from the Windows PCs. Linux doesn't "see" the actual user/group
that owns given folder. It interprets it into numbers, some kind of UID
that comes from the Windows machines.

unless you definitly need NFS for some reasons you should go for a mount.cifs for share access. Having two different protocols is bound to have issues with ownership and ACLs. And if you really need POSIX support, you can still have it with Unix Extensions, although it will retrict you to SMB1 support, which is very chatty and not so fast.

By the way, you can mount a CIFS share at session startup using pam-script module.

Cheers,

Denis

I'm quite sure that this is common and known issue, but I don't know what
is the right way to deal with it, so any wisdom will be helpful.

Thanks

Denis Cardon
Tranquil IT Systems
Les Espaces Jules Verne, bâtiment A