Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] 4.2.14 (or newer) support "Windows for Workgroups 3.1a"?

Did you set a "security" value in smb.conf ?   If this is a domain controller, then I think it should be "security=user."

Are the Windows 7 and Windows 10 machines properly joined to the domain ?   Are any of the Windows 7/10 machines used for industrial systems?

It might be helpful to know what was the OS version of the previous server, and whether it was  actually configured as a domain controller.  Why did you remove the old server?     A long long time ago when I moved from NT4, I used the samba "net rpc vampire" command  to pull the Windows accounts into the samba server.   Did you do something similar?

Assuming you only have the industrial systems and not your corporate network using this server, a "classic" domain controller may be simple to setup than an AD domain controller.    Windows 3.11  won't benefit from AD.         Assuming you only have Windows 3.11 machines then there isn't even much point setting up the server as a domain controller at all.