Web lists-archives.com

[Samba] workgroup versus domain name

'workgroup' is another way
of saying 'netbios domain name', so 'workgroup\user' means exactly
the same as 'domain\user'

According to "man smb.conf" workgroup is not the same as netbios name.

When you provision a domain, it will set the netbios domain name to the
left hand part of the dns domain/realm

But classicupgrade behaves differently:
It copies workgroup from smb.pdc.conf, and sets netbios name to the hostname ("dc1"). Neither of which is (in my case) part of the realm (ad.COMPANY.com). I end up with three different names for the same "thing": Users log on as WORKGROUP\user, shares have names \\HOSTNAME\share, and RSAT shows everything inside ad.COMPANY.com.

On a Windows server with DFS the domain can be used for everything: users are domain\user, shares are \\domain\share. Much simpler.

Coming from Windows I'm confused that a Samba AD-DC has both domain and workgroup. Windows Clients have either workgroup or domain. Windows DCs have only domain.

The reason for the difference between provision and classicupgrade might be in the examples on the wiki pages: the provisioning example contains the option --domain=ad, the classicupgrade example does not. This is probably useful when upgrading from a PDC, but it surprised me that workgroup can be totally different from realm.

What would happen if I specify --domain=ad in the classicupgrade? Would users and computers find that "renamed" server?

Klaus