[Samba] AD migration questions.
- Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2018 12:10:25 -0400 (EDT)
- From: Tom Diehl via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: [Samba] AD migration questions.
I have a client that is in the process of decommissioning a SBS 2008 server.
They have moved email off of the server and shutdown Exchange.
They would like to switch to a samba AD DC and separate file server.
According to https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Joining_a_Samba_DC_to_an_Existing_Active_Directory
I should be able to add a Samba DC to the domain but I have a few questions
about possible problems.
1. Is the fact that there was at one time Exchange 2007 in this domain going to
be a problem for the Samba DC? Obviously the AD schema was extended to accommodate
Exchange and SBS.
2. Are there any known problems transferring the FSMO's to the Samba DC and then
ultimately decommissioning the 2008 DC? Obviously I will have to replicate the
2. In reading this mailing list, it seems that 4.8.1 is still B0rked. So is the
current recommendation still to stick with 4.7.7 even though this is a new
3. Is there anything else I should watch out for?
I am thinking about doing this on Centos 7 with self compiled version of samba for
the DC and using the Centos supplied rpms for the file server. I could be talked
into self compiling samba for file server also but using the rpms seems to
require less work to maintain.
To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the