Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Wing's repo, rpms & upgrades

Hi Vincent,

I started using Samba as an AD DC on el7 a few weeks ago. I have some
questions for others who mights also be using Wing's rpms on el7
(http://wing-net.ddo.jp/wing).

A) Is there a wiki/issues page for that repo? I could not find any..

B) is that the only repo of samba rpms available for el7/centos7?

You can use the RPM at https://samba.plus from the great folks at SerNet.

Here at Tranquil IT we are porting RPM packages from Fedora to CentOS7/RH7 for some of our clients. We have a copy of those RPMs on our wiki at https://dev.tranquil.it/wiki/Samba4 , more specifically in the https://samba.tranquil.it/centos7/ directory.

By the way, we are compiling using heimdal kerberos and not MIT like it is configured by the default in the Fedora packages.

If you are a Redhat customer, it would be good to go forward to your redhat representative to say that you'd be interested in Samba-AD support by Redhat. The more people will ask for it, the more chance there is that Samba-AD will be first class citizen in Redhat ecosystem in the future!

C) Is there a reason why samba46-4.6.14 is the latest available version?
Are 4.7.x and 4.8.x not considered stable? -47 and -48 rpms are
available in the repo but they're not visible in the main tree because
they're under 'extras' (http://wing-net.ddo.jp/wing/extras/7/x86_64 ).

Early Samba 4.7 had a few issues, but we have been happy with it since 4.7.4. And we have 4.7.6 deployed at almost all of our clients.

Samba 4.8.0 has a bug when doing an "in place" upgrade, there is a patch for that bug that will be included in 4.8.1, and we are waiting for that version before starting our upgrade cycle.

D) How complex is it to update a Samba AD DC to a newer minor version?
(E.g: 4.6.x to 4.7.x) Is a 'yum update' usually sufficient or are there
some db actions that are required?

For minor upgrade, you mostly can go forward without much stress. For major upgrades, it is always better to test an upgrade on a snapshot and do a dbcheck first. Dbcheck is getting pickier at every major version to get the best and nicest ldb database for your beloved domain.

Cheers,

Denis

Thanks,

Vincent