Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Debian Packages for Samba 4.8?

Hi Oliver,

> normally you are building these wonderful samba debian packages for us :-)
>
> Is there a reason, that you didnt create packages for samba 4.8?

I think the reason for Louis not offering 4.8.0 deb package is probably the same for us. There is a still a bug in 4.8 when you do an "in place" upgrade from ealier Samba version [1]. This bug has been addressed by the Samba team and the fix included in the upcoming 4.8.1. And by this time it will be more suitable to have up-to-date package for people to use. Indeed it is not a good thing to have ready to use packages to help people shoot themself in the foot.

In any case it is a good thing to test out new releases of Samba (or even RCs), and if you want to be cutting edge, the best way is still to compile.

Cheers,

Denis

[1] https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2018-March/214596.html

--