Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Share users across domains

I don't think microsoft plans to do this with Windows 7, and yes we don't have money to buy windows 10, thats Brazil guys.

Citando Rowland Penny <rpenny@xxxxxxxxx>:

On Mon, 02 Apr 2018 14:15:40 +0000
Rodrigo Abrantes Antunes <rodrigoantunes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I know these systems work with AD, the problem is the migration, I
don't think is easy to migrate 5000 accounts from current systems to
new systems. I will need to learn the sintaxes of all these new
systems and this would take huge time because I know nothing of
samba4, or AD, or dovecot, or kerberos and the boss whants the
emails for students for next month. We don't plan to change
cyrus/postfix and horde, whats the problem with them? I already tried
kopano and the users hated it. And like I said there are a lot of
internal administrative systems that were programmed (not by me) to
work with ldap only, including some that are not opensource. A while
ago I did research on how to migrate my current domain to samba4 and
from what I understand it would be almost impossible or too difficult
for my scenario

I know that at least one of the other Samba-team members wants to
retain the use of NT4-style domains, but Microsoft seems to be trying
to ensure that they go away. Microsoft stopped supporting NT domains
over 10 years ago and bit by bit they seem to be removing the
ability to use windows with them. You might find that one day, after
a windows update, your domain doesn't work with your windows machines
any more and then what will you do ?

Far better to migrate to Samba AD now, whilst you are not being forced
to in a rush, but it is your decision and you will have to account for
it, if/when it all goes wrong.
Rodrigo Abrantes Antunes
Instituto Federal Sul-rio-grandense