Web lists-archives.com

[Samba] DKIM, DMARC, mailman. Oh Joy!

On Wed, 2018-03-28 at 19:28 +0200, Reindl Harald via samba wrote:
> *every* single message from this mailing list has a reply-to header to
> the poster, independent who is the poster, no other mailing-list on
> planet earth has a reply-to-header - it's that simple - period

So, e-mail is hard these days, and mailing list e-mail is even harder.

Read up about the interactions between DKIM, DMARC and mailing lists
here:
https://wiki.list.org/DEV/DKIM

Either we change the From (and so need to set a Reply-To otherwise it
becomes impossible to do a private reply, which is needed sometimes) or
we get every google user booted off the list whenever a yahoo user
posts.

It sucks all round.  Samba uses the last option listed in the table
there.

(Historically, we used to set reply-to to the mailing list, to avoid
accidental private replies).

I hope this clarifies things,

Andrew Bartlett