Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] power users group

Hi Lorenzo,

I just installed a samba4 dc and I see that Power Users group is missing,
is possible to create that group so that a workstation joined in the
domain can install software using users belonging to that group and how
it can be done?

actually simply creating a group with that name doesn't get any
privilege to that group users.

PowerUsers group is a Windows local group. Even if you had such a group on AD, like the existing "Remote Desktop Users" group, it would not provide what you want.

You can create an "MyPowerUsers" AD group and add your "power users" in that AD group, and then add that "MyPowerUsers" AD group to the Windows local "Power Users" group. That can be done easily through GPO (or any other configuration management solution).

However I would rather advise you to use a software deployment solution to solve your installation needs, like SCCM, Ivanti, WAPT, etc. And I personally would advise you to give a try to WAPT Community 1.5, it was just release this week, and it rocks (I am a little bit biased as I work on that project too :-)

Cheers,

Denis

--
Denis Cardon