Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED listing \* on Samba AD - out of the blue

On Mon, 12 Mar 2018 13:17:19 +0000
Sebastian Arcus via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I don't think this is your main problem though, did the problem
start after a windows update ?
I think your clients are possibly trying to connect with NTLMv2

If that was the case, shouldn't smbclient continue to work? I can't
list the contents of the shares even using smbclient.

OK, I ran some tests on one of my DCs:

I feel like a complete idiot. My Samba shares are under /srv/samba, and after 8 hours of troubleshooting, I discovered that /srv was missing the execute bit for 'other' - so regular users didn't have the permission to traverse the tree any more. Friday towards the end of the day I must have copied something under /srv, which unbeknownst to me, reset the permissions on /srv. From that moment on all regular users lost access to their shares. I can't believe I have pretty much taken this server apart, upgraded and downgraded kernels, upgraded and downgraded Samba packages and did all sorts of troubleshooting - yet I never spotted the missing permissions! It is true the the /srv/samba path was never explicitly mentioned in the logs, but still - I am sorry for the noise.

Thank for all the suggestions in the message above.