Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] LDAP BDC- Classic Domain

Hi Praveen,

We're trying to add a  BDC in Samb4 classic domain setup.  The Samba
3 How -To and Samb3 by Example covers this but uses the old
slapd.conf option, we are using the slapd.d config. I couldn't find
a similar document for Samba4

Can you please advise that the following steps will work?  LDAP in
the existing PDC is working using the smbldap tools

-          Setup the LDAP in BDC exactly like the PDC, including the

-          Copy the /etc/passwd and /etc/groups from PDC to BDC

-          Remove the contents of the /var/lib/samba in BDC

-          Run the smbpasswd -a in BDC

-          net rpc getsid in BDC

-          Do we need join the BDC to the domain? If so , does the
smb.conf in BDC will only have the following in the smb.conf before
the join? The confusion on my part is if the machine is already a
BDC with smb.conf stuff does it have to be added to the domain?

If the two servers are not on the same network subnet, then you can
configure your BDC the same way as your PDC with a multi-master LDAP
configuration. It works great (at least it worked great when it was still in production, now it is upgraded to Samba-AD :-)

And you shouldn't need to add your users to /etc/passwd and /etc/group if your /etc/nsswitch.conf is properly configured (provided that you have uidnumber and gidnumber in your LDAP).

workgroup = LIN

netbios name = LIN-BDC

password server = LIN-PDC

security = domain

client ipc signing = auto

-          If not then do we setup smb.conf with the whole ldap
settings ? passdb backend = ldapsam : ldap: //LIN-PDC.LIN

-          How do we sync the ldap settings? Consumer-Provider
model? Setting up ldifs.

-          This is more a general question about BDC. The PDC has
folders that have been shared. If we changed BDC to PDC, how will
the folders be shared? If we define the shares in the BDC do we then
have to go //unc path of the share?

Praveen Ghimire

Denis Cardon
Tranquil IT Systems