Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Error joining Samba 4.7.4 DC to existing Win2008R2 domain

And I can now confirm that 4.7.4 on the latest Ubuntu 18.04 snapshot
joins to a Samba AD domain as a DC.
I'm sure it does, that's why I suspect something is wrong in my Win2000-->Win2008R2 upgraded domain AD.

Another thing that comes to my mind is that the 2008R2 domain was upgraded from an initial Win2000.
Win2000-->Samba direct migration is not possible because Samba
requires at least a Win2003 domain.
So the complete upgrade was Win2000 (SRVAD-OLDOLD) --> Win2008R2 (SRVAD-OLD) --> Domain/forest functional level upgrade --> Samba
4.7.4 migration.

Could there be something wrong/unexpected in current Win2008R2 domain config?

Could you suggest something to check for?
Even with -d9 there's nothing interesting between the last "Adding DNS..." line and "Join failed - cleaning up".
There should be an explanation of why the join failed, other than "It failes, I'm cleaning up".

As a side note, it took me longer to give the Ubuntu VM a fixed ip etc
than it took to join as a DC and then people ask me why I don't like a
certain set of packages ;-)
I agree.
Netplan is not something I was needing; another (needless) thing to learn and yet another configuration format to know (even if I love YAML for other things).

Claudio