Re: [Samba] Fwd: Migrating server
- Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2018 19:11:23 +1000
- From: Rob Thoman via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [Samba] Fwd: Migrating server
I was able to domain join the server to the domain, had to add in
client ipc signing = auto
security = domain
Then it comes up with Joined "sam4Dc" to the domain. What does that step
Coming back to your comments.
At a point in time both servers will be DCs. The plan is that after that
point Samba3 box will cease to become a DC and act as a file server only.
So can we do the following?
- Stop the smbd/nmbd/winbind services in both servers, this cause the
shares to drop. Copy the .tdb/etc (passwd) and smb.conf file from 3 to 4
- Change smb.conf file in the 3 server and remove the bits about it being
the Domain Master,
- Not a lot to change smb.conf in 4
- Start the services in both the servers
- Hope as hell that we got it right :)
- Having Bind9 running on both servers won't be an issue?
Have I got it correct?
On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 5:04 PM, Andrew Bartlett <abartlet@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 2018-02-21 at 16:27 +1000, Rob Thoman wrote:
> > Hi Andrew,
> > I can't shutdown the old samba box as it will still be hosting the
> I think you need to split that off sooner rather than later. Your
> first step needs to be to make it a domain member server.
> > Can I do any of the following?
> > Would it make sense for me to migrate the backend to LDAP ?
> Probably, particularly if you can't split the server from being a DC in
> the short term.
> > Or following your first comment, can I setup rysnc every 5 minutes to
> replicate data.
> You can't do that with TDB files, that would be very unsafe.
> > You're right it is a migration path but I can't migrate until this works
> in the test environment
> OK. Either work in on a copy (taken when Samba is stopped on the
> server) or use LDAP if you need it 'live'.
> Andrew Bartlett
> Andrew Bartlett http://samba.org/~abartlet/
> Authentication Developer, Samba Team http://samba.org
> Samba Developer, Catalyst IT http://catalyst.net.nz/
To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the