[Samba] Migrating server
- Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2018 11:21:50 +1000
- From: Rob Thoman via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: [Samba] Migrating server
We have an upcoming project to migrate Samba first into a new Hardware then
the AD migration. Our hardware is old and we need to migrate.
Please allow me to explain the current setup
- Server : Physical
- OS: Ubuntu 14.04 running Samba 4.0.0. Even though it is running Samba 4,
we are using configs from Samba3.
- Roles: DC, DNS , DHCP and Shares
- Database: TDB
- DNS: BIND9
- Clients: Mix of Windows 7 and 10 joined to the domain
Here is what we are planning, high level
- Add a new Samba 4 server (VM in a new hardware). Join it to the existing
- Promote this server as BDC, migrate the DNS, DHCP
- Demote the old Samba box as Domain Controller, leave the Shares in the
- Take a copy of the new samba DC VM and test NT4 to AD migration using the
The urgency is do get Phase1 done but Phase2 is approved.
What we would like to know if conceptually the above makes sense and is
doable? The bit we are not very sure about is Adding the BDC and demoting
the PDC. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the