Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Inconsistent results while attempting to preset a computer with a one-time-password

Quoting Dan Oriani via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Quoting Dan Oriani via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Quoting Dan Oriani via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Quoting Rowland Penny via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

On Tue, 06 Feb 2018 14:09:08 -0500
Dan Oriani via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm not opposed to the idea. Does 'net ads join' support supplying
the machine name as the user, and the one-time-password given to it?
The only reason I'm using adcli at all is the preset-computer option
which I couldn't find an analogue to in 'net ads'.

I have never tried this, but there is the 'createcomputer=OU' option:

Precreate the computer account in a specific OU.
The OU string read from top to bottom without RDNs
and delimited by a '/'.
E.g. "createcomputer=Computers/Servers/Unix"
NB: A backslash '\' is used as escape at multiple
levels and may need to be doubled or even
quadrupled. It is not used as a separator.

So I have the computer precreated in the OU. Lets call this host 'ruby'. I also pass 'machinepass' so that it can join itself later (I think?). On 'ruby' I run 'net ads join', except it asks me for a password still. If I try to run 'net ads join -U RUBY$%onetimepass -v -d 5' it seems as if it tries to create the machine again, as in the logs I get 'machine account creation failed', then 'failed to precreate account in ou ....: Insufficient accesssigned SMB2 message'. Should I be specifying something else? The man page seems to suggest that if the machine already exists, it'll use that entry. Having 'net ads join' prompt me for a password is a no-go, as it brings me right back to manually doing this all by hand.

Also it kind of seems from the logs that running 'net ads join createcomputer=OU' is attempting to join the computer I'm running the command on again. The man page really isn't all that specific about it.

So testing around still being unsure how to have 'net' prep the computer, I found https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2010-August/072627.html from 2010 where another user seems to be trying to accomplish a similar task. Is net capable of setting the allowed joiner as mentioned in that post?

In any case, I hit another roadblock: I create the computer in ADUC allowing SELF to join, use 'net' to set the password since it seems 'net' still doesn't allow for no-password, then attempt to join with 'net ads join -U RUBY$%password'. It seems I'm back to the same permissions problem I was running in to with adcli though. It gets to 'machine account creation failed', then 'Host account for RUBY does not have service principal names' and 'Failed to join domain: Failed to set machine spn: Insufficient access'. So it looks like even though the machine account has the permissions to join itself, it still can't set its own SPN.

And just like that post, if I modify that machine entry and grant 'Read Write all properties' on the SELF object, it can then successfully join itself. That doesn't really seem like a great idea though, and definitely doesn't lend itself to automation. Unfortunately it seems as though that thread ends without resolution so I'm still unsure as to where to go from here.