Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Samba Migration and AD integration

Hi Praveen,

The realm infact has no dots, is this going be an issue? It is different to workgroup. The details did get "Lost in Redaction"

About single labeled domain (SLD) name, from Microsoft documentation[1] : "SLDs are not a recommended configuration for future deployments and may not work with some products or versions"

Actually I thought it was not possible to make a samba classic upgrade with a SLD... Perhaps upgrade scripts doesn't block it.

Anyway, if you are still testing your upgrade, you should do again the classic upgrade using a realm containing a dot. If you are already gone in production with that problematic SLD and all desktops have switched to AD domain attachment, then you are mostly screwed. It can be salvaged by recreating a new domain with a proper name and same SID, piping in all the accounts and groups with their respective SID and ntlm hash, and then rejoin all the computers to the domain.

Cheers,

Denis

[1] https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2269810/microsoft-support-for-single-label-domains

Coming back to the DNS. When we did the domain migration , we used --dns-backend=BIND9_DLZ. My assumption was it will stick to the BIND_DLZ. Anyhow, when we use the default settings post migration, we are not able to DCPROMO the Server 2008R2 server. It comes up with DNS record error,  more specifically the SRV records for _ldap_tcp_dc_msdsc_(realmname).  Then if we change the DNS to BIND9 using the dns_upgrade-backend=BIND9_DLZ, stick a zone file with manually added SRV records, we are able to DCPROMO but then DNS( and it turns out AD replication) issues. The AD replication issues is due to DNS not replication and not copying the _msdsc_ zone file.

So what is the best option in  our case? Domain Prep/Migrate using BIND9_DLZ and the stick to the SAMBA_DNS? One question is would  it help if we add the SRV records to the /var/cache/bind/zone file pre migration? Will the migration read that file and convert it to the DNS DB?

  Thank you.

Regards,

Praveen