Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] nmbd error: workgroup name is too long

Hi Kirk,

I’m fairly frequently receiving the following error in my logs:

Feb  5 11:16:22 hal nmbd[19333]: [2018/02/05 11:16:22.889584,  0] ../source3/nmbd/nmbd_workgroupdb.c:57(name_to_unstring)
Feb  5 11:16:22 hal nmbd[19333]:   name_to_nstring: workgroup name COOMBS         ^[ is too long. Truncating to

what do you get if you increase you log level at 4 or 5 and restart your samba ?
   log level = 5

By the way, Samba-AD works great, you really should upgrade your standalone fileserver. And it is a good thing to avoid NetBIOS altogether and stick to DNS. If you disable nmbd, the message will probably go away...

Cheers,

Denis

I’m running Samba 4.7.4 on FreeBSD 11.1. My smb4.conf file has the workgroup name as “COOMBS”, with NO trailing spaces. Here’s the complete configuration file:

[global]
	workgroup = COOMBS
	server string = Samba Server Version %v
	netbios name = HAL

	security = user
	encrypt passwords = yes
	passdb backend = tdbsam

	wins support = yes
	domain master = yes

	interfaces = 192.168.1.220
	bind interfaces only = yes

[Plex]
	path = /zraid/plex
	valid users = plex
	writable = yes
	browsable = yes
	read only = no
	guest ok = no
	create mask = 0666
	directory mask = 0755

In the prior thread, there was speculation of some invisible control character at play. I typed the above configuration file manually--with no copy/paste--so that should not be the case.

Note that the error only seems to appear if "domain master = yes” is set.

The netbios services do see to work—I just get my logs filled with these errors.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Kirk Coombs

--