Web lists-archives.com

[Samba] Best way to generate Unix UIDs and GIDs?

Hi,

For a new samba domain, I need to create users and groups with Unix UIDs
and GIDs.

In the future, it is possible that there will be a trust with other
domains, so I need to take care that there won't be any UID/GID
conflict. Also, I assume that in the future Samba will be able to
restore deleted objects, so I need to avoid conflicts with those objects
as well.

This makes me think that a good way would be to generate UIDs/GUIDs from
SID. I know SSSD does it (apparently not ensuring consistency[1]), but I
could not find a script that does only this. However, I found this
python script[2] which seems to be what Centrify does.

What do you think about all of this?

Regards,
Yvan

1.