Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] rid overlaps nobody uid

On Wed, 20 Dec 2017 19:49:28 +0100
Chris via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> All,
>
> in many manuals winbind rid backend idmap overlaps with linux nobody.
>
> The wiki for example says
>
> idmap config SAMDOM : range = 10000-999999
>
> but debian nobody for example is 65534.
>
> I guess this doesn't matter, or should one use a smaller range?
>
> - Chris

I wouldn't worry about it, NSS uses /etc/passwd & /etc/group first, so
the local 'nobody' will be found first, just don't use '65534' as an
AD uidNumber (or gidNumber)

If it really does worry you, just change '65534' to what red-hat uses
'99', there must have been a reason why debian used '65534', but I
have never found it.