Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Minimal AD DC server for dev/test setup

On Tue, 19 Dec 2017 11:07:12 -0500
Martin Langhoff via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> About the last question, I'll be reading up on samba-tool. Apologies.
>
> A better question is: can I run the DC without an attached DNS
> server? How little can I get away with running?
>
> In my imagination, I should be able to run just the LDAP+Kerberos
> parts, AIUI that's all I need, skipping DNS, fileserving, winbind,
> etc; blame this on my view of AD as a quirky LDAP. Again, scoped for
> my use cases, which are essentially LDAP-connection-and-lookup
> against the AD-flavored LDAP that AD contains.

There is a term for running a Samba AD DC without dns, it is called
'broken' ;-)

AD isn't ldap, it contains its own version of ldap, if you want to use
it for authentication by external tools, read up on using AD with the
relevant tool.