Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Eventually transitioning to Windows Server 2016

On Mon, 2017-12-18 at 08:41 +0100, Andreas Heinlein via samba wrote:
> Are we just talking about domain function levels (Windows Server 2016
> should run as a DC on the 2008R2 level just fine), or is it really not
> possible to join a Server 2016 to a domain with a samba DC?

This will get better with the patches Garming is working on for Samba
4.8, but currently windows baulks at joining Samba because it uses
interfaces (DCOM) we don't support.

However, once we upgrade to FL2012 it will avoid that check and join.
I'm told a current/future Windows 2016 version will join Samba as-is,
but I've not tried it (they fixed their bug, they shouldn't have used
DCOM for that).

I hope this clarifies things,

Andrew Bartlett