Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Windows 98 cannot connect to Samba 3.6.23-45el6 after upgrade from 3.0.33-3.41.el5

On 12/11/2017 04:18 PM, Andrew Bartlett via samba wrote:
On Mon, 2017-12-11 at 15:49 -0500, Justin Cantrell via samba wrote:
I upgraded a server from CentOS 5 to CentOS 6 and migrated the samba
users, accounts, and files. Everyone reconnected without a problem
except a Win98 user.
Is there anything that changed that would disallow a Win98 machine from
connecting.
It doesn't prompt for password.  It just doesn't connect.

When attempting to map the drive, I get:
"The following error occurred while trying to connect S: to \\server\folder

The computer or sharename could not be found. Make sure you typed it
correctly and try again."

No entries in /var/log/messages /var/log/samba/smb.log /var/log/secure

I can connect on the same subnet with Windows 10 machines using the same
credentials.
My first guess is that you need to set:

lanman auth = yes
I have tried this. It didn't do anything
Naturally this isn't secure, but this is most likely what the issue is.

If not, turn up the logs and see what more detail you can get.  3.6
still uses SMB1 only by default (and this is still on by default even
in modern versions), so it won't be the new SMB2 world.
I tried log level 2. It gave no indications. I guess I'll go higher.
I hope this helps,

Andrew Bartlett

--
Justin Cantrell