Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] upgrading DC 4.5.x to 4.7.x

On 12/01/2017 01:46 PM, k.wirski via samba wrote:
I"ve done upgrades previously (from 4.3), so I know the procedure, but I've been checking on samba list regularly, and I see some people having issues after update, mainly with replication. So how safe is it now? Are there still known issues? Should i upgrade 4.5 -> 4.6 -> 4.7 or directly go to 4.7.latest?

We upgraded straight from 4.5 to 4.7.2.

Since we had some corruption, we upgraded by:
= bringing the 4.5 DCs online in a seperated environment
- adding a new temporary 4.7.2 DC
- make absolutely sure everything replicated successfully to that new DC
- power off the old DCs
- reize fsmo roles, cleanup the database, etc
- add new 4.7.2 DCs using their old names/ips
- remove the temporary DC

After this, we swapped the 4.5 production DCs for the new 4.7.2 DCs in the production network, and nobody noticed the change. Except for one or two users and computers that had changed their passwords during the above procedure.

The above procedure took some testing and multiple tries, but now, on 4.7.3, everything is running absolutely beautifully. We are specially happy with the new auth audit logging.

MJ