Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] idamp ad/rid

On Fri, 1 Dec 2017 14:14:05 -0200
Elias Pereira via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello friends,
>
> My doubts are as follows. In an environment where we have, for
> example, 1000 users, I believe that rid would be the best choice in a
> fileserver environment, because we don't need to manually configure
> via RSAT a unix attribute for each user.
>
> Is that more or less the thought, or am I wrong?

If you don't want to add anything to AD and you can live with all your
users having the same login shell and Unix home directory, then the
winbind rid backend is a good choice. If you are going to use more
than one Unix domain member as a fileserver, then you will probably be
better off using the winbind ad backend, this way you can ensure your
users and groups have the same ID everywhere.