Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] sendmail getting domain\user as email userId

On Fri, 01 Dec 2017 03:47:26 -0500
Mark Foley via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yeah, I saw that, and I read the developer's comment. Frankly, I
> don't get it. Seems to me winbind behaviour should be the same, AD/DC
> or domain member. And it should deliver to programs the id they
> expect (w/o domain name), regardless of the use being made. I don't
> see the benefit for any use of adding the domain to the Id unless
> there is some odd circumstance that an installation has more than one
> domain and the same user Id -- in which case this should be the
> exception rather than the rule.
>
> Oh well ...
>
> I'll investigate your nlscd suggestion.

I can sort of understand the decision, you can use trusted domains with
Samba and if you use 'winbind use default domain = yes' and you have a
user in DOMA called 'fred' and a user in DOMB called 'fred', winbind
would treat these as being the same user. Even if the DOMA users full
name is 'Fred Bloggs' and the DOMB users full name is 'Fred Doe', that
is, they are two different people.

Perhaps we need a parameter called 'winbind remove our domain from
users & groups' ;-)