Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Debian Buster, bind_dlz, and apparmor

On 11/28/2017 9:02 AM, Rowland Penny wrote:
On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 08:37:22 -0600
Dale Schroeder via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, 27 Nov 2017 14:53:32 -0600
Dale Schroeder via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Last week, Debian testing (Buster) added apparmor to the list of
dependencies for its latest kernel release, apparently because
systemd needs it.  Recently, I noticed my first casualty - bind9 -
due to apparmor failures with bind_dlz.

Knowing next to nothing about apparmor, what is needed to fix this,
and what further info do you need from me?

Thanks,
Dale
I cannot seem to find a debian kernel that has a dependency on
apparmor, can you provide a link ?

Even if debian is making the kernel depend on apparmor (by the way,
does Linus know about this  ?), this isn't a Samba problem, it is an
apparmor one.

Rowland
Rowland,

Thanks for responding.

From
http://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs/main/l/linux/linux_4.13.13-1_changelog

[ Ben Hutchings ]
    * linux-image: Recommend apparmor, as systemd units with an
AppArmor profile will fail without it (Closes: #880441)

So, although the word "recommend" implies that one has a choice, in
reality, the kernel upgrade would not proceed without installing
apparmor.
Then it is a bug, depend means it will be installed, recommend means
what it says, it is recommended to install it, but you do not need to.
I suppose it would be possible to disable, but assuming the systemd
warning is a harbinger of things to come, it seemed best to me to
figure it out now.  I know systemd is not your thing, and I am
inclined to agree; however, Debian sees it otherwise, leaving me to
deal with it.
Easier way out of this, stop using debian and use Devuan instead.

I asked here because there is a wiki section devoted to the topic -
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/BIND9_DLZ_AppArmor_and_SELinux_Integration

Thus far, SELinux has not been forced by Debian.  Regardless, since
the apparmor install, I have not been able to get Bind9 to start if
bind_dlz is enabled.

As I said, apparmor has nothing to do with Samba, the same goes for
selinux and, in my opinion, they should figure out how to work with
Samba, not the other way round. The page on the wiki is supplied as a
service, but Samba has no real way to know if the settings are correct,
it relies on feedback from users.

Rowland
Likewise, I had hoped some of the Ubuntu or Red Hat-derived OS users would chime in.  I had previously tried several different incantations with no luck.  Just now, I found this, taken from https://2stech.ca/index.php/linux/linuxtutotials/tutorials/234-samba-active-directory-with-bind-dns-backend-on-ubuntu-1404

  /var/lib/samba/private/krb5.conf r,
  /var/lib/samba/private/dns.keytab r,
  /var/lib/samba/private/named.conf r,
  /var/lib/samba/private/dns/** rwk,
  /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/samba/** m,
  /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ldb/modules/ldb/** m,

This dated recipe works for me where newer ones did not.  BIND 9.10.6 is happy again.  YMMV

Dale