Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Logging users connecting

On 11/21/2017 1:15 PM, Luke Barone via samba wrote:
Hi list,

Is there a way with Samba 4 AD to log when a user and computer are logged
in? What we're looking for is to solve the scenario of students or faculty
logging in on a workstation (with their username and password), doing
something bad online, and the SysAdmin having to scour through the log
files for a specific date and time, and figure out who was logged in at the
time of the incident.

Does such a logging feature exist? If so, how can we leverage it?

Many ways to accomplish this but have you started here yet?

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Audit_Logging

Depending on how many workstations you have, you can have separate log files for each machine or user.  See here.

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Client_specific_logging

James