Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] SAMBA failing to start after upgrade

On Thu, 16 Nov 2017 23:13:27 +0200
"Kukreja H.Kukreja via samba" <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi I upgraded my samba 4 DC running on Ubuntu 12.04 from 4.6.7 to
> 4.6.10 sernet samba package.
>
> apt-get update
> apt-get upgrade sernet-samba
> While downloading the new package the internet went down and it
> stopped so later when the connection was restored I started it again
> with ap-get upgrade sernet-samba and it started again.
> Now after rebooting the server the sernet-samba-ad service is not
> running and failing with error SAMBA NOT CONFIGURED AS DC. The
> testparm command is giving an error /var/run/samba pid missing so I
> have copied the folder from another running DC running 4.7.1.
>
> Please help to resolve the problem. This is a main DC and I have
> still not transferred the FSMO rules to the new 4.7.1 server.
>
> Thanks n Regards
>
> Harsh
>
> Sent from my iPhone

The upgrade shouldn't have touched the Samba database, just the
binaries etc, so check the smb.conf file and recreate it if you cannot
find it, or if it is incorrect.

If all else fails and because you seem to have other DCs, turn off the
DC, seize the FSMO roles to another DC, forcibly demote the dead DC.

Re-install the OS on the old DC, do not use the old DCs ipaddress
or hostname. Now install Samba and join it to the domain as another DC