Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Join a subdomain DC to a domain DC

On Tue, 14 Nov 2017 16:05:52 -0200
Elias Pereira via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello guys,
>
> I work at an institution where the domain is institute.edu.br. We
> have a main dns that answers for the internal and external services
> that we have.
>
> Firstly the staff here configured samba as domain institute.edu.br,
> but this way it is conflicting in the resolution of internal and
> external service names, since samba wants to respond for all requests
> and, even inserting a forward zone, does not it works.
>
> I configured a new DC as a subdomain, because in this way samba only
> responds to your requests and forward all the rest to the main dns. It
> became addc.institute.edu.br
>
> My question is whether there is any impediment in joining the
> domindom to the domain, transferring the fsmo roles and then demote
> the old one?

Does nobody read the Samba wiki ???

As far as I am aware, AD subdomains do not work correctly with Samba AD.
What you have done with the new DC, is what you should have done in the
first place, created a subdomain of your main dns domain and used this
for the AD dns domain and realm.

I think you have two options here and I don't think you are going to
like either ;-)

Shut down your main DNS server and then use the Samba dns servers for
everything in the domain, or start again with your new DC and DNS
subdomain.