Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] SAMBA4 API

We aren't using BIND, we are using the builtin SAMBA backend.  Also the
requests for updates are going to come from external to the DC.  IE, the
inventory server needs to send a request to the DC to add/update/remove etc
DNS records.  This is why I'm looking for an API.

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 11:32 AM, Rowland Penny via samba <
samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Nov 2017 11:18:04 -0600
> Taylor Hammerling <thammerling@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > by modify I mean add, change and/or remove DNS records (depending on
> > the values passed to the API).
> > Also, yes I mispoke, we would only be modifying the records on one
> > DC, and replication would take care of the rest.
> >

> OK, rather than trying to re-invent the wheel, you will probably find
> it easier to script around the 'nsupdate' utility from Bind.
>
> If you look here, you will find a bash script that uses it:
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Configure_DHCP_to_update_
> DNS_records_with_BIND9
>
> There is also the samba_dnsupdate python script that uses it.
>
> Rowland
>
> --

*Taylor Hammerling* |  *IT Manager*
2800 Laura Lane | Middleton, WI 53562