Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] how safe is "net use" in a batch file? plus some encryption questions

On Tue, 14 Nov 2017 15:06:01 +0100
"Stefan G. Weichinger via samba" <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> You can make XP use NTLMv2, see here:
> >>
> >> https://www.imss.caltech.edu/node/396
>
> Did these changes on the 2 VMs and rebooted.
>
> For sure I also have to remove stuff from smb.conf, I run these
> non-default settings for the XPs:
>
> lm announce = no
> lanman auth = no
> ntlm auth = no
> client lanman auth = no
> client ntlmv2 auth = yes
>
> That was a recommendation from Louis, afai remember?
> Do I have to keep something?
>
> The XPs show up with protocol NT1 in smbstatus.
>
> I will edit smb.conf in a few hours and retest.

If you are running a recent version of Samba (>= 4.5.0), you might as
well remove all of them, they are (apart from 'lm announce') the
default settings. The default for 'lm announce' is 'auto' and this
setting doesn't broadcast unless something asks it to and AD doesn't
ask.